ConCorda conquers in more than just name. ConCorda, is a musical journey – challenging, but deeply rewarding. And I challenge anyone considering partaking, to jump at the chance. You won’t regret it.
Michael Carey, Student at ConCorda 2011
The only words coming to my mind are friendship, generosity, fantastic energy, and of course love for music and people. So thanks a million, and much more… Long live ConCorda!
Sylvain Séailles, Quatuor Varese (Quartet-in-Residence) Concorda 2011
ConCorda Chamber Music Course for Strings is an international chamber music course for string players held in the picturesque Irish city of Waterford. ConCorda offers advanced string players aged between 14 and 24 an inspiring and transforming musical experience in chamber music, string orchestra and music improvisation. The course is designed to give students the opportunity to study chamber music intensively at a very high level with a staff of Irish and International tutors including members of the Irish Chamber Orchestra. ConCorda is directed by Course Director Peggy Nolan and Artistic Director, the Irish Chamber Orchestra’s own Katherine Hunka. During the course students:
- Develop ensemble awareness, techniques and skills through working with other advanced string players from Ireland and abroad
- Receive professional coaching and direction in preparation for two public concerts
- Take part in daily improvisation and rhythm workshops, exploring music through composing and body movement
- Attend a masterclass with a leading professional artist
- Rehearse and perform with the ConCorda String Orchestra
- Participate in a wide range of extra activities including yoga, soccer, basketball, a table quiz, rounders and a film night
ConCorda is funded by The Arts Council, the Irish Association of Youth Orchestras, The National String Quartet Foundation and the Irish Chamber Orchestra. Late applications received after this date will be considered, (depending on any places being available on the course). For more information visit www.concorda.ie.