In 2023, IAYO is once again running our Youth Orchestra Collaboration Grant scheme to stimulate collaboration among youth orchestras in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. (International collaborators can take part too)
This scheme is in response to members asking for more regional festivals and collective performance opportunities beyond the annual IAYO Festival at the National Concert Hall. We feel that the creation of such opportunities is more feasible if led locally and supported by IAYO rather than run centrally by IAYO. The 2022 scheme was a great success with Musica Fusion Community Orchestra and Athenry Music School being the recipients.
In 2023, this scheme once again replaces the Youth Orchestra Ovation Awards.
Applications are now closed for 2023.
Read about the 2023 recipients here.
The Youth Orchestra Collaboration Grant Scheme is aimed at:
- increasing opportunities for Irish youth orchestras to perform with and for each other;
- increasing opportunities for youth orchestras to work with each other collaboratively;
- allowing young musicians from different orchestras to get to know each other and to play together;
- creating activities and performances that are too big for just one orchestra;
- growing and connecting the youth orchestra community.
We are open to any ideas of collaboration that bring young people from three or more orchestras together to rehearse and perform with, or for, each other and to get to know each other through music and related activities.
We are very happy to receive applications for activities that operate in a blended format in whatever form that might take – especially where it gives the young players opportunities to get to know each other and to work with each other.
We are very open to young people and youth orchestras collaborating in ways that we haven’t thought of yet.
We will look particularly favourably on activities that have a high level of leadership by young people.
The total fund for the 2023 scheme is €10,000. This may be distributed to between two and four projects at between €2,500 and €5,000 each depending on the applications received.
Applications are open to youth orchestras in Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland that are members of, or affiliated to members of, the Irish Association of Youth Orchestras.
What Sorts of Activities Will We Fund?
- Shared concerts, small festivals, combined orchestras, shared artistic projects.
- Blended activities including a mix of online and in-person activities.
- Social and cultural exchange activities that allow players to get to know each other and develop the community of youth orchestras and young players.
- Innovative activities that involve collaboration between orchestras and young musicians not contained in the above.