Job Opportunity with IAYO: Youth Participation Officer
The Irish Association of Youth Orchestras invites applications for the position of Youth Participation Officer.
This is an opportunity to contribute to the development of the youth voice and youth leadership in IAYO itself and in youth orchestras throughout Ireland. This is a new position created in support of our strategic aim to incorporate a model of youth participation into IAYO that will facilitate the prioritising of young people’s ideas, opinions, and voices in our work.
The Youth Participation Officer will work initially with a sub-committee of the board and join a team including the CEO, Programmes Manager, Administrator, Marketing and Communications Officer and the Marketing and Communications Assistant (a part-time Community Employment placement) with more than one-hundred professional and voluntary artistic and organisational staff engaged annually.
Ideally, a candidate would have training in, and an understanding of, both ensemble music-making and youth work. However, this combination of skills and knowledge is rare and thus strong skills in one area combined with a willingness to learn in the other are most welcome.
This is a one-year contract with the intention to renew in 2023 and make the position permanent part-time from 2024 subject to sufficient funding. Proposals for completion of the work on a contract basis will be considered. The role can be based remotely but will require face-to-face work at a number of locations around Ireland. The post-holder can be based at our office at Civic Trust House in Cork City if preferred.
Responsibilities for the role of Youth Participation Officer include:
- Attend training with Hub na nÓg and maintain links with Hub na nÓg;
- Coordinate IAYO staff, board and stakeholder training with Hub na nÓg;
- Gather evidence of best practise among members and networks (including
- outside Ireland);
- Develop resources for members around youth participation in youth
- Assess all aspects of IAYO work for elements of and opportunities for youth participation including attendance at courses / events;
- Develop induction training for new members of IAYO Youth Committee;
- Plan focus group process and expectations and recruit focus group of youth reps from member orchestras;
- Focus group of youth reps from member orchestras to develop strategic plan and charter of participation for IAYO youth committee;
- Develop youth participation policy for IAYO and templates for member orchestras, in conjunction with IAYO youth committee / focus group;
- Recruitment of new members of IAYO Youth Committee;
- Induct members of IAYO Youth Committee;
- Coordinate youth committee participation in events e.g. Festival, Ovation Awards;
- Ongoing support of IAYO Youth Committee to include planning and evaluation of progress and monthly meetings;
- Liaison between Committee and IAYO staff & board;
- Identify and organise development opportunities for members of IAYO youth committee e.g. additional training, guest speakers, NYCI;
- Ensure safeguarding children principles are applied to all work with young people in line with the IAYO safeguarding statement and policy;
For further information on the role, please download the Application Pack.
The deadline for applications is Sunday, 17 July 2022 at 22:00.