Job Opportunity: Chamber Music Director with IAYO
We are presently looking for expressions of interest from those interested in taking up the position of Director of the IAYO National Chamber Music Workshops to take over from Katharina Baker who has been tutor and director for the past thirteen years. Learn more about the workshops here.
Contract payment: €900 gross. Musicians who are self-employed will receive the gross amount. Alternatively, the successful candidate can be put on payroll.
How to apply: Application is by a letter with your expression of interest and CV to Allin Gray at email@example.com.
Deadline for applications is Monday, 3 April 2023.
Further information about the role can be found here in a pdf format.
The role will involve planning in advance of the course and being present on the course itself. Below is an outline of some of the advance planning tasks and work that go into the course.
Tasks in advance of the course:
- Schedule applicants into meaningful groupings considering level, age and abilities. This may include getting in touch with the students’ teachers. This should be done approx. four weeks before the course to allow tutors to be hired according to the need. IAYO have a list of suggested tutors or suggestions can be made. IAYO will approach, hire and contract tutors.
- Prepare two/three contrasting pieces for each group to work on over the weekend or collaboration with the appointed tutors to find suitable material.This may include arranging, transposing or simplifying parts to suit specific students.
- Create or prepare a tutti activity where all players and tutors meet in tutti sessions throughout the weekend.
- Finalise a schedule for the weekend in collaboration with the IAYO Programmes Manager.
- Hold a preparatory Zoom meeting with tutors and staff the week before the course.
At the course:
- Be on hand for all tutors throughout the course, offering advice where additional music is needed (for example if levels were misjudged), and have additional pieces prepared.
- Lead the tutti sessions and instruct tutors and students.
- Prepare the final concert programme order in collaboration with IAYO staff and tutors.
Location: The role is based remotely but will require attendance at the National Chamber Music Workshops. In 2023, it is planned that the course will take place in Dublin (non-residential for students) over two days in October or November 2023.