Young Composers’ Competition | West Cork Music
The 2020 West Cork Chamber Music Young Composers’ Competition is now open for entries. Submissions from all Irish and Irish-resident composers under 35 are welcome.
Criteria for the Work:
- Scored for string quartet (2 violins, 1 viola and 1 cello). Works requiring other instruments, pre-recorded sounds or electronics are not eligible for consideration;
- 5-8 minutes duration;
- Has not been performed in concert prior to its performances at the 2020 West Cork Chamber Music Festival.
The competition will be judged anonymously and the international judge will select four winning scores on equal footing.
Each of the four composers will receive:
- €750 prize money.
- 3 nights’ accommodation at the festival.
- 2 public performances of their work by a conservatoire quartet at the West Cork Chamber Music Festival. The second will be the official World Premiere played at the quartet’s Town Concert (a date in early July).
- The first performance will be at a workshop attended by all four composers and the public. The composer will have a chance to discuss their work with the international adjudicator and the musicians. The assigned conservatoire quartets will perform the works as they are workshopped and experiment with compositional suggestions.
- Each composer will have an opportunity to work with the performers prior to the work’s Town Concert performance.
Competition entry is free.
Scores must be submitted to West Cork Music by 23:59 on Tuesday, 17 March 2020.
All scores must be submitted electronically. Submission must include a sound MIDI file of the composition, clearly labelled with the composition title. Please use the subject line YCC 2020 when submitting.
For further information, submission details and full criteria, please see westcorkmusic.ie.