Crash Works | Write for the Crash Ensemble
Crash Ensemble has just announced an exciting new initiative, Crash Works.
Crash Works is a new initiative to commission and support the artistic and professional development of music creators (from any genre) at pivotal stages of their careers offered in partnership with New Music Dublin, Crash Ensemble musicians & the Crash Ensemble team of creative minds.
The Crash Ensemble want to create music in a different way and to explore new ideas, new sounds and new music.
Five music creators will be commissioned to write a new work for Crash which will be premiered at New Music Dublin 2023. Each of the five music creators will receive a commission fee of €3,850 (in line with CMC guidelines).
As part of the commission, these five music creators will join Crash Works. Crash Works is a new development hub incorporating Crash Ensemble musicians, our team of lovely, skilled, talented people, and the composers / music creators around us, to meet the needs of emerging musical artists in the 21st century. Crash hope to share their knowledge of the sector with composers, while exploring and supporting new ways of creating music and the people who create this music.
At the heart of Crash Works is the commissioning of a new work of 10-12 minute duration for full ensemble. They want to fully support the commission and presentation of each new work and to allow time for thinking, creating, collaborating, investigating and re-defining what it is to be a music creator.
Who is it open to?
- Crash Works is open to music creators at pivotal stages of their careers who identify music as a key part of their practice.
- It is open to music creators working across all genres of music. We will endeavour to provide support to a cross section of music creators identifying with differing genres.
- Music creators born in or resident in Ireland.
- Previous participants of Crash Ensemble’s Free State can apply for this opportunity.
How to apply
- Email with title ‘Crash Works Application’ and include your name and contact details to email@example.com.
- Submit a 5-minute video or written document answering the following questions:
- Who you are and what is your area of expertise?
- Why do you want to do this?
- What do you see as the possible potential for your own artistic practice?
- What knowledge and qualities can you bring to Crash Works?
- 2 examples of existing works. These can be PDF notated scores/graphic scores/musical thoughts & ideas/instructions/MP3’s/electronic mock ups (if you have one).
Closing date for applications is 12 noon, Friday, 20 August 2021.
For further information, please see here.