Dublin Youth Orchestras Chamber Music Summer Course 2022
Applications for the Dublin Youth Orchestras Chamber Music Summer Courses 2022 are now open!
The courses will be hosted in the idyllic surroundings of St. Columba’s College, Rathfarnham on the following dates:
Friday, 15 to Wednesday, 20 July 2022: Senior Course (for secondary school age wind and string players – up to age 18)
Thursday 21st to Sunday 24th July: Junior Course (for primary school age wind and strings – from age 9)
The Dublin Youth Orchestras Chamber Music Summer Courses are designed for young musicians with some experience in orchestra and chamber music and also for those who are completely new to ensemble playing. The courses offer a fantastic opportunity to combine making music with traditional summer camp fun. Days are filled with chamber music tuition (or wind ensemble tuition), orchestra, chamber orchestra, wind band, drama, singing, song-writing, sport, evening concerts, quiz nights, talent show and much more. Participants have the option of staying in modern dormitory accommodation. Non-residents will join in all the fun – their day starts at 9am and ends at approx. 9.30pm.
During the course students:
- Play and perform music in a fun, information and uncompetitive environment
- Explore a rich and varied repertoire of chamber and orchestral music
- Receive professional tutoring in chamber music skills – playing and working together, and rising to new challenges with fantastic results musically
- Perform for their peers in daily evening concerts, gaining valuable performance experience
- Rehearse and perform in full wind and string orchestra, and in smaller chamber orchestra or wind ensembles
- Wind players have the opportunity to explore a full repertoire of classical, jazz, swing and blues music with an experienced wind tutor
- Participate in daily extra activities, including drama workshops, song-writing masterclasses, a variety of sports and evening fun
- Work towards a final formal concert for family and friends in the beautiful St Columba’s chapel
- Build relationships with like-minded people – and sometimes life-long friendships
The St. Columba’s campus is truly unique. For a sneaky peak of what to expect you can view a St. Columba’s aerial tour here: https://vimeo.com/169995417
SENIOR COURSE: Residential: €500 / Non-residential: €430
JUNIOR COURSE: Residential: €385 / Non-residential: €325
All music tuition: Two to three hours per day in chamber groups with a dedicated tutor. One hour of full orchestra and one hour of chamber orchestra/smaller wind ensemble.
All extra activities: Two to three hours per day of various activities including drama, sport, swimming and songwriting.
All meals: Lunch and dinner is provided. Breakfast is also included for our residential players.
Accommodation: Our residential players will stay in small, modern dormitories with ensuite bathrooms
All fun evening activities: Evening concerts, quizzes, movie and pizza night, talent show and more.
How to apply:
Applications can be made online only by following the links below:
Senior course: https://bit.ly/3JflZMU
Junior course: https://bit.ly/3KhepCW
The closing date for applications is Friday, 3 June. Places are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis and are limited – particularly on the Junior Course which has been oversubscribed for the past few years. We do not hold places without the completed online application form and payment. Payment details will be emailed once you have applied online.
Please feel free to share this email with anyone who may be interested in attending the courses – non-DYO players are more than welcome.