IAYO Summer Practice Clubs
Our season of IAYO Summer Practice Clubs has come to an end!
We would like to take this time to thank everyone who was involved in Practice Club, either hosts or participants. This was a new initiative for IAYO and we were absolutely delighted with how it went. Our hope is that we will use the recorded footage and experiences to create a Practice Club Hub which will be available online later in the year.
Starting on Saturday, 19 June, IAYO will be hosting weekly, free, online Practice Clubs throughout the summer hosted by some of Ireland’s top musicians, composers and performers including Bill Dowdall, Katherine Hunka, Virginia Kerr and Lisa Dowdall. Sessions will take place on Saturdays from 11.30am – 1pm.
The Practice Clubs are free and open to musicians of all ages! Registration is now closed.
During these sessions, participants will hear from professional performers on how they like to practice and there will be dedicated time for participants to practice their own instruments.
You can read the full list of hosting performers below.
These practice clubs will be a space where musicians can learn, discuss, share, and try out some new techniques and approaches to practising, playing and performing.
The professional musicians have had many hours, years and decades in practice rooms with their instruments, they’ve made mistakes, found new ideas, laughed, cried, screamed with frustration and glowed with self-pride! They’ve learned and experienced a lot, and want to share it with you and every other musician.
At the heart of our club is YOU. We want you to put yourself, your health, creativity, and your own ideas and voice first. We want to show you how to do things more easily, better, faster, so that you can play the way you want.
Come with just yourself, your instrument, and for 90 minutes each week and see what happens. Let’s practice together!
You only need to register once – you can attend each session with the same Zoom link. Don’t worry if you can’t find it one week as we will be forwarding the link each week!
All sessions are being recorded and also live-streamed to our YouTube channel where they will be available for two weeks after each session.
Practice Club Schedule
- Bill Dowdall (Flute) | “I Hate Practising!” | Saturday, 19 June 2021 at 11.30am
- Virginia Kerr (Voice) | “Your Inner Critic & How it Can Affect Your Practising” | Saturday, 26 June 2021 at 11.30am
- David Munro (Composer) | “Mind and Body” | Saturday, 3 July 2021 at 11.30am
- Diane Daly (Violin) | “Move” | Saturday, 10 July 2021 at 11.30am
- Alex Petcu (Percussion) | “Puzzles” | Saturday, 17 July 2021 at 11.30am
- Laura Careless (Dance) | “Body Story – Physical Instincts as a Foundation for Art-Making” | Saturday, 24 July 2021 at 11.30am
- Vourneen Ryan (Flute) | “Practice Better to Perform Better” | Saturday, 31 July 2021 at 11.30am
- Eliza McCarthy (Piano) | “Intention. Attention. Play!” | Saturday, 7 August 2021 at 11.30am
- Lisa Dowdall (Viola) | “Creative Play” | Saturday, 14 August 2021 at 11.30am
- Sharon Carthy (Mezzo-soprano) | “Drama in Music-Making, Communication of Character, Motive & Emotion” | Saturday, 21 August 2021 at 11.30am