Online Workshop: Delivering Online Orchestra and Performance Models | 13 August
Online Workshop: Delivering online orchestra and performance models – strategy, problems and possible solutions with Katharine Mac Mághnuis.
Thursday, 13 August, 11am – 1pm via Zoom.
Please register your attendance here.
On Thursday, 13 August from 11am – 1pm, Katharine Mac Mághnuis (Athenry Music School) will present a free online workshop on “delivering online orchestra and performance models – strategy, problems and possible solutions”.
In this workshop, Katharine will cover a range of topics including (but not exclusive to):
- Delivery methods and quality of content, including balancing of speaker on / speaker off, creating a sense of harmony for the members, developing a critical ear, developing ensemble playing, playing old repertoire, developing new repertoire, having fun, socialising among themselves, etc.
- Repertoire – the methods, pace and style of teaching online are very different from live teaching. While teaching two polyphonic parts online is possible, it is far from ideal.
- Grouping sections – this is either informed by the students, or the repertoire, or both!
- Timetabling – the ability to deliver orchestra online at a time that the students would normally receive live orchestra. (Students may normally receive individual lessons before and after orchestra).
- Tutors – Conductors v Demonstrators, and their availability, suitability, and timetables.
- Cost – If each orchestra normally had 2 tutors per 40 students, it is likely those costs would at least double to accommodate online sections that are teachable.
- FUN! Orchestra is a social event! – How can we have fun, create opportunities for members to mix and have social freedom in an online context?
Katharine will also address possible problems and issues that may arise and possible / partial solutions that may be implemented.
Please register your attendance here as soon as possible and, at latest, by Wednesday, 12 August.
If you have any questions, please contact IAYO at email@example.com.
This workshop will be recorded and available online for a limited time after their completion for IAYO members.