Job Opportunity: Senior Conductor with Fingal Youth Orchestra
Fingal Youth Orchestra is seeking a part-time senior conductor on a contract for services basis for its Senior Youth Orchestra commencing September 2018.
Fingal Youth Orchestra (FYO) aims to foster a love of classical orchestral music for 8 – 18 year olds, using professional music teachers as conductors and tutors. The orchestra draws members from all over the Dublin area and beyond and currently has between 40 and 50 players divided between the junior and senior sections. The two orchestras regularly join forces for joint programmes.
The Conductor will be expected to:
- Develop, direct, guide and mentor the Senior Orchestra;
- Work in close collaboration with, and develop a strong working relationship with the Senior Orchestra Tutor, the Conductor and Tutor of the Junior section of the orchestra;
- With the assistance of the Senior Orchestra Tutor, audition and select new members, assist in the tuning of instruments etc., set-up stage to present the Senior Orchestra at its best acoustically and visually;
- Define and develop quartets and other smaller groups;
- Source, tailor and arrange music to suit the ability and range of the orchestra;
- Prepare the Senior Orchestra for public performances, festivals and competitions;
- Participate in away trips and concerts;
- Ensure that new members are integrated successfully into the Senior Orchestra;
- Work from time to time with various combinations of players from the Junior and Senior Orchestras;
- Advise generally on the musical ability of individual members of the Senior Orchestra;
- Identify members of the Senior Orchestra who require additional support;
- Develop and prepare the combined orchestra, with the Junior Conductor and Tutors;
- Assist the Committee to fulfil its mission to foster the personal, social and musical development of the members of the Fingal Youth Orchestra, and to ensure their protection whilst in its care.
The ideal candidate should hold relevant qualification(s); have excellent communication skills; the ability to create positive rapport with players and embody our ethos of Music and Fun!
To apply, please send CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, 22 July.
For further details, please the Fingal Youth Orchestra Senior Conductor Job Description.